Friday, July 13, 2012

Gluten Free Baking

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
Gluten Free Desserts. They have baffled many pastry chefs, both beginners and life long bakers. I have been practicing baking since I was a small girl, just tall enough to reach the oven. Now that I have my own bakery I have realized that there is a real demand for Gluten Free desserts. Many bakers won't touch this idea with a 29 1/2 foot pole! However, I decided to jump in head first.


After many destroyed recipes made with "gluten free flour" mixes I realized something,  the mixes taste like cardboard and won't ever have the same effect that wheat flour will have.  So what is my solution? 
Don't use gluten free flour mixes.
Simple solution, right? :)

I have a go-to list of ingredients that are gluten free solutions.

Applesauce
Almond Flour
Almond Meal
Bananas
Egg whites
Eggs
Peanut Butter
Oatmeal
Oatmeal Flour
Corn Meal
Corn Flour
Rice Flour
Chocolate
Confectioners Sugar
Walnut flour
Walnut Meal
Hazelnut Flour
Rice Crispies
Nutella
Dutch Cocoa Powder
Coconut flour

I have used all of these ingredients in varying amounts to create some of my best gluten-free items ever.
So next time you're "googling" for a gluten free dessert, try searching for one of those ingredients.



Flourless Chocolate Cupcake with Vanilla Buttercream and Cherries on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something sweet :)